To help Jewish patients and their family members meet their basic needs, so that they can focus their energy on receiving the best possible medical care. Ezras Cholim of Arizona was started in 2015 by a group of dedicated volunteers to serve the needs of people facing illness in the Greater Phoenix Jewish community.
The Office of Mayor Kate Gallego surprised Yecheskel Friedman with a proclamation de- claring his birthday, Dec. 17, 2019, “Arizona Kosher Pantry Day.” Friedman is pictured with Cepand Alizadeh, community relations director for the Office of Mayor Kate Gallego, and Jeremy Rovinsky, a member of the Ari- zona Kosher Food Pantry board of directors, after receiving the proclamation.
How You Can Help – Gift A Mitzvah
A lesson taught by our Rabbis is that one who solicits mercy for his fellow while he himself is in need of the same thing, will be answered first. It will entail people doing Mitzvahs, so the sick and needy may benefit from it. They would gift the Mitzvah to them, having a share in it.
Mitzvahs between man and his friend such as visiting the sick, charity, inviting guests, and so many more, which in themselves draw from loving kindness, is not counted in the two hundred forty-eight (248) Mitzvahs. What do they fall under? They fall under the Mitzvah, “You shall love your friend as yourself”. According to Reb Akiva, this is a great principle in the Torah. In the last paragraph of the Amidah it says, my soul should chase after Mitzvahs. In Psalm 85:11 it says, “Kindness and Truth have met; Righteousness and Peace have kissed.” There are two participants, the chaser: Kindness and the one being chased: Truth. The outcome: the charity performed by the participants will bring peace; healing, and comfort to the sick, and needy.
Through Ezras Cholim you can purchase a Mitzvah Bond which will provide a food package for an individual or family. You may also Gift A Mitzvah to those who are in need of healing and recovery from illness. By linking a good deed with the intentional thought of those in the community who are in need, Gift A Mitzvah helps others through positive actions.
Look for upcoming information on our website newsletter, or emails on how to become more involved. Visit our website and leave a description that your gifting.
Excerpts are taken from a writing by Yecheskel Shraga ben Yitzchok. For any questions, feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ezras Cholim Medical Device Closet (Gemach) was established in 2015 with the majority of requests for mobility solutions such as crutches, walkers, knee walkers, wheelchairs, and power wheelchairs. In addition, Ezras Cholim frequently arranges people to push wheelchairs on the Sabbath.
At Ezra’s Cholim of Phoenix, we welcome those who are seeking treatment at an Arizona Rehab center with open arms. We are skilled at helping you manage your stay with the many services that we offer, such as transportation and kosher meals . If you or a family member is being cared for at an Arizona Rehab facility, please do not hesitate to contact us. Rehab support services offered:
Daily and or frequent visitation
Warm meal delivery
Transportation to The Meadows treatment center in Wickenburg, Arizona
A presence to brighten your day
We at Ezra’s Cholim of Phoenix are here to tell you that you are NOT alone. Our intent is to make sure that you have a voice and can speak for what you want and need. We extend our services to patients and their families in all area hospitals, nursing homes, and to those being cared for in-home. Services provided for patient advocacy:
- Help navigating through difficult medical decisions or negotiation
- Offer guidance and advice during trying times
- Communication with hospital or nursing home staff to help understand their options
300 Kosher meals delivered to patients and caregivers monthly. Eating only hospital food can get tiring and boring really quickly. Also, with illness, times can become stressful. The last thing you want to worry over is cooking a meal. We personally deliver warm, delicious, kosher food to your room. These services are extended to patients and their families in the home as well.
Ezra’s Cholim volunteers from our community are available for hospital visitations. Let us take the loneliness out of your hospital stay. We are only a phone call or a click away! Visitation services offered:
- Daily and or frequent visitation
- Warm meal delivery
- Someone to listen to you and to chat with
- A presence to brighten your day
You may Gift A Mitzvah to those who are in need of healing and recovery from illness. By linking a good deed with the intentional thought of those in the community who are in need, Gift A Mitzvah helps others through positive actions.
GAMMalka Bas (Daughter of) Simcha Tova
GAMMalka Bas (Daughter of) Simcha Tova
The purpose of Ezras Cholim, Tomchei Shabbos, and the Arizona Kosher Pantry is to demonstrate gratitude for the great kindliness bestowed upon us from G-d. We hope our service shows thanks and says thank you.
- To amplify our work, this newsletter, food drives, educational resources, and a robust thank you department are core to our efforts for this year.
- Pardes Jewish Day School and their PTA joined with the Arizona Kosher Pantry for a Rosh Hashanah Food Drive. The results were heartwarming as they collected over 100 paper bags of groceries! Chabad of Scottsdale and Mazel Tov Gifts joined with Tomchei Shabbos for a food drive that overflowed 5 barrels of groceries. Currently Beth El Congregation and The J Scottsdale Arizona have Arizona Kosher Pantry food donation boxes. A request: please have your organization contact us as we do have food drive openings/opportunities for Purim (March) and Passover (April).
- Topics emerge daily such as access to nutritious food, hunger as a public health issue, informed food choices, and food as medicine. As our programs evolve to address the needs of our communities, we are becoming listeners and educators. Stay tuned, as we want to share our experience and knowledge on these topics in this newsletter, online, and in person.